16 September 2012
27-year-old atheist activist, Alber Saber was arrested in Cairo, Egypt after he posted the now infamous 14-minute trailer for the film “Innocence of Muslims” on the Facebook wall of his group, “Egyptians.Atheists.” Neighbors in his mostly Muslim community of el-Marg in eastern Cairo gathered in protest outside Saber’s home on Thursday and Friday with many calling for his death. According to his mother, one person shouted, “Why are we standing down here? Let’s go upstairs and get him.”
The 14-minute trailer for “Innocence of Muslims” has been blamed for protests and rioting against US embassies in Cairo and in other cities throughout the Middle-East. In Libya, the attacks have led to the death of US Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
Alber Saber was arrested on Friday after his mother called the police out of fear of the crowd outside their home. Saber was arrested under the rarely used law that prohibits insulting religion. He was allegedly thrown in a crowded jail cell and the officer allegedly told those in the cell that Saber had insulted the Prophet Muhammad. There are reports that Saber has been attacked in the jail cell and according to one blog, his neck was slashed with a razorblade.
A Facebook page has been created to demand for Saber’s release. The “Free Alber Saber” Facebook page has over one thousand “likes” at the time of the publication of this article.
- (Technical) victory in Court, failure in Parliament
- Religious circumcision an assault on boys
- He Needs Money
- Five Cities that Ruled the World – in flames
- Chaplaincy in Australian Public Schools
- War of Words on Gay Rights in China
- South Korea Surrenders to Creationist Demands
- Join the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain’s 5th Anniversary Celebration
- The Dynamics of a National Conversation
- An Open Letter to the Gambian Government on Homosexuality
- Atheism And Human Rights Abuses In Africa
- Iranian Rapper Faces Calls For His Execution Over Insulting Imam Naghi