06 November 2013
Turmoil within the Catholic Church
By M.J., AAI NEWS TEAM
Recent activities in and by the Catholic Church indicate significant challenges for and struggles within its leadership, as the Church attempts to define a way forward in the modern world, which is often at odds with many of the traditional messages of the Church. Sexual and financial scandals have eroded confidence in the Church and contributed to the tide of people leaving the faith. These and other issues of concern to the Church will be discussed here in light of recent events.
The Church knows something needs to be done. Recent meetings held by the Catholic Church in Europe highlight issues of high concern to the Church in the region, issues which greatly affect the influence and the future of the Church: Secularization, Youth and Islam.
Europe is largely secular, and as the Church seeks to maintain a strong influence on politics and society it knows that is has to learn to deal with that fact. A meeting was held by the Council of European Bishops (CCEE) in Bratislava, Slovakia to discuss the issue of secularization, the separation of Church and State, how these threaten the church, and how the church should move ahead.
Youth are of course of immense importance to society, for they will be the future leaders, voters, consumers, and in the case of the Church, they will either be followers, or they won’t. The Church knows full well that if the young do not accept religious teachings then the church will fail. The meeting in Bratislava highlighted that evangelizing and winning the youth into the religion is both a high priority and a significant challenge.
- Witchcraft Accusation Rages in Northern Ghana
- Are atheists more helpful than Christians?
- Secular World 13 - Of Mice and Mayhem
- Except...there is no heaven
- Pakistani Freethinkers to UN: recognise Int'l Day Against State Religion
- Iran is one of seven nations...
- AAI President Carlos A. Diaz shows his support for Imad Iddine Habib on International Imad Day!
- Secular World 12 - Sanderson Jones of the Atheist Church
- Freedom Of Conscience: Can Theists And Atheists Work Together?
- Zambian government calls on church to fight against homosexuality
- Secular World Episode 11 - Bills, Boston and Bangladesh
- Boston Bombing and Islamophobia in America