17 April 2012
The AECH, Skeptics Association of Chile, started as a group of people who got to know each other through debates on online forums. They were familiar with the work of Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens, among others, and were also catalyzed by the appearance of a very well known charlatan on television.
AECH’s work involves publishing articles online, running two radio shows, and also going after possible charlatans or quacks, explaining people why some benefits-for-little-money might be a scam. They spread science through the internet and their radio shows, which a lot of people still don’t have access to in our country, where statistics about reading skills and reading comprehension are frantically depressing.
AECH’s objectives are to undertake an educational role in the mass media, create debate wherever and whenever it’s needed and raise awareness of all the quackery still going on.
I contacted Luis León Cárdenas Graide, better known as ‘Luchostein’, who is a member of this association.
But before Luis’ interview, what is the apostasy campaign and how does it work?
The apostasy campaign is a (hopefully) massive gathering of people to formally renounce their religion. People participate by attending a meeting in their communities where they are given apostasy letters to fill in. The letters are handed in by groups to their respective archdiocese, which then has two days time (by law) to go through the papers and delete the apostates from its records permanently.
For more information on the apostasy campaign in Chile see: http://www.aech.cl/2012/03/convocatoria-participar-en-apostasia.html.
- Indonesian Muslims Call for Atheist Beheading
- 11 February 2012: A day to defend free expression
- First national meeting of atheists in Brazil
- Thank you AAI supporters!
- Catholic Church Claims De-Baptism 'Impossible'
- Boko Haram and the threat of political Islam
- Blasphemy laws protect religion from legitimate scrutiny
- No Need to Believe: Indonesia's Atheists
- The Rise of Atheism in Pakistan
- Defiling the memory of the holocaust in Israel
- The Latest Catholic Church Atrocities
- Goodbye Hitch