26 February 2012
Recently Brazil has experienced how organization through social networks is resulting in protest and events in the real world. The first big event that comes to mind is the “March for the laic Government” that took place in August 2011. Since then, we have had public events against corruption, for feminism, and the latest - to gather atheists.
The idea of the event, according to Stiphanie Silva, is to meet each other and organize. “We need to get out of the closet, show we are good sons and daughters, parents, that morality is independent of faith” says Silva, who is a member of Sociedade Racionalista, the association responsible for the event organization.
On February 12th (Charles Darwin’s birthday) several States held atheist meetings, each one organized by local atheists. The places were usually public parks, and in most of the cases the activities were decided during the meeting. Among them, speeches from participants and debates were the most common. Atheist meetings have happened before, however, this was the first time coordinated meetings occurred all over the nation on the same date - and it was mentioned in the press.
- The Latest Catholic Church Atrocities
- Goodbye Hitch
- Saudi Arabia Executes Women Convicted of Sorcery
- Debt-Stricken Italy Asks Vatican to Pay Taxes
- What does an atheist do on 25 December?
- Catholic Church in India Says Have More Children
- Jewish Ladies: Step Aside For The Men
- Israeli Wins Right to be Classed as 'No Religion'
- Oyedepo, Oyakhilome, Ashimolowo, Others Come Under Attack At Humanist Forum in Abuja; Sheila Solarin Urges Nigerian To Fight for A Better Society
- Being Pakistani and atheist a dangerous combo, but some ready to brave it
- Humanists to Meet in Abuja
- Four Killed in Religious Rioting in Nigerian City