30 October 2012
This tribute to Sheila Solarin, matron of the Nigerian Humanist Movement, was published in The Nation, Nigeria.
On Sunday, October 21, the co-founder of Mayflower School, Sheila Solarin passed away. Sheila like the late husband, Tai Solarin, was an educationist. She devoted her entire life to working and campaigning to improve the quality of education in Nigeria. And through her Mayflower Schools, she provided that high quality education to Nigerian children. I encountered Sheila not so much in her capacity as an educationist but more in her role as the matron of the Nigerian Humanist Movement(NHM). Very few Nigerians know about Sheila’s humanist credentials especially that she continued the tradition left behind by Tai of supporting secular education and also promoting the humanist outlook.
Read the full tribute here.
- Islam Must be Scrutinised
- Islamic religious education in German State Hesse soon to be mandatory
- Global survey finds fewer religious people, more atheists
- Michael Shermer in Brazil
- Kuwaiti man receives 10 years in prison for tweets while the Parliament of Kuwait mulls the death penalty for blasphemy
- Pussy Riot women guilty of hooliganism, will serve two years
- Indian Missionaries Target Brazil's Amerindians
- Thank you eBay Giving Works donors!
- Hands of Putin and Orthodox Church pulling strings in Pussy Riot arrests
- The Crime of Debunking in Delhi, India
- Women raped, tortured and hanged to save son of Imam in Iran, may have been innocent
- ACLU decision means schools must hold graduations in non-denominational locations