Atheist Alliance International (AAI) is a global federation of atheist groups and individuals committed to educating its members and the public about atheism, secularism and related issues.
Atheist Alliance International (AAI) is a positive voice for atheism and secularism. Our goals are to:
- Facilitate and support project/events that demystify and normalise atheism, promote critical thinking and counter religious dogma in government and public policy.
- Combat discrimination and injustice against atheists around the world.
- Support the establishment of new atheist organizations, especially in places where atheists are at risk, victimised and discriminated against.
- Strengthen global cooperation between atheists.
VISION AND MISSION STATEMENTS
VISION STATEMENT: AAI’s vision is a secular world where public policy, scientific inquiry and education are not influenced by religious beliefs, but based upon sound reasoning, rationality and evidence, and where individuals who lack religious beliefs enjoy free speech, freedom of association and freedom to participate in public life.
MISSION STATEMENT: AAI’s Mission is to support atheist organizations around the world by assisting them with; local campaigns, outreach, secular education projects, coaching and promoting interactions among these groups.
AAI recognizes the value of social communities and the importance of providing a strong and protective foundation for individuals, families and groups. In addition to promoting and encouraging the formation of new atheist organizations, AAI supports international outreach and community-building programs. The organization supports its affiliates and other groups through local campaigns, conferences and other projects.
Education is fundamental to Atheist Alliance International. Only by educating the public, can atheism be normalized and seen in a positive light. AAI supports its members and the public in the acquisition of new knowledge by :
- Providing news on atheist/secular issues and campaigns through the AAI website and social media.
- Publishing Secular World magazine.
- Hosting atheist conventions with local groups around the world. These conventions provide the opportunity for communities to hear from established and new atheist speakers.
- Supporting educational projects, such as the Kasese Humanist Primary School in Uganda.
Basic rights, justice and social responsibility form the foundation of what it means to be human. AAI works to defend and protect the rights of atheists and like-minded people by publicizing relevant issues, distributing media releases, developing policy statements and cooperating with other groups to bring issues and injustices to the attention of media and government.
Atheist Alliance International is run by a volunteer international Board and relies on membership fees and donations to fund its activities. If you support atheism and secularism, please join us!
HISTORY OF AAI
Atheist Alliance International was founded in the United States as the Atheist Alliance in 1991 by four local US atheist organizations: Atheists United (Los Angeles, California), Atheist Coalition (San Diego, California), Atheists of San Francisco Region (California) and the Atheist network (Houston, Texas). Atheist Alliance quickly added additional affiliates. Within a year, it had eight US organizations as members and by the end of 1992, its first international affiliate.
Atheist Alliance began publishing its magazine, Secular Nation, in the second half of 1994.
Atheist Alliance began hosting US conventions in 1995, with the first one held in Los Angeles, California. The Atheist Alliance website went online in 1997.
By 2001, the organization had a half-dozen affiliates outside the US, and so changed its name to Atheist Alliance International (AAI).
In 2006, AAI held its first international conference in Reykjavik, Iceland. In 2010, it began its current program of co-hosting conventions with Affiliate and Associate Members, starting with the extremely successful 2010 Global Atheist convention held in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
In 2010 AAI determined that it could more effectively pursue its goals by separating its US focused activities from its global activities. The US group, Atheist Alliance of America, became an Affiliate Member of AAI.
- Reason and rational thought: Reason and rational thought are the basis of logical decision making and essential to address the issues faced by humanity.
- Science and empiricism: The scientific method is the best tool we have for seeking truth and understanding in our world. We make conclusions based on the best available evidence and change our conclusions accordingly as new evidence becomes known.
- Compassion: Human compassion and empathy are the basis of a cooperative social structure that benefits all people.
- Purpose: This life is the only life we know we will have and it is up to each of us to utilize it meaningfully.
- Freedom: All people are entitled to freedom of conscience. AAI supports the values outlined in the International Convention of Human Rights.
- Responsibility: Each person is part of a global society and is responsible for humane interaction with other people and animals for the preservation of our habitable planet.