Atheist Alliance International (AAI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1991. AAI is a global federation of atheist groups and individuals committed to educating its members and the public about atheism, secularism and related issues and supporting atheists around the world who are excluded, disparaged, discriminated against and criminalized. AAI was granted UN Special Consultative status in 2013.
Atheist Alliance International (AAI) is a positive voice for atheism and secularism. Our goals are to:
- Facilitate and support project/events that demystify and normalize atheism, promote critical thinking and counter religious dogma in government and public policy.
- Combat discrimination and injustice against atheists around the world.
- Support the establishment of new atheist organizations, especially in places where atheists are at risk, victimized and discriminated against.
- Strengthen global cooperation between atheists.
Vision and Mission Statements
VISION STATEMENT: AAI’s vision is a secular world where public policy, scientific inquiry and education are not influenced by religious beliefs, but based upon sound reasoning, rationality and evidence, and where individuals who lack religious beliefs enjoy free speech, freedom of association and freedom to participate in public life.
MISSION STATEMENT: AAI’s Mission is to support atheist organizations around the world by assisting them with; local campaigns, outreach, secular education projects, coaching and promoting interactions among these groups.
AAI recognizes the value of social communities and the importance of providing a strong and protective foundation for individuals, families and groups. In addition to promoting and encouraging the formation of new atheist organizations, AAI supports international outreach and community-building programs. The organization supports its affiliates and other groups through local campaigns, conferences and other projects.
Education is fundamental to Atheist Alliance International. Only by educating the public, can atheism be normalized and seen in a positive light. AAI supports its members and the public in the acquisition of new knowledge by:
- Providing news on atheist/secular issues and campaigns through the AAI website and social media.
- Publishing Secular World magazine.
- Hosting atheist conventions with local groups around the world. These conventions provide the opportunity for communities to hear from established and new atheist speakers.
- Supporting educational projects, such as the Kasese Humanist Primary School in Uganda.
Basic rights, justice and social responsibility form the foundation of what it means to be human. AAI works to defend and protect the rights of atheists and like-minded people by publicizing relevant issues, distributing media releases, developing policy statements and cooperating with other groups to bring issues and injustices to the attention of media and governments.
- Reason and rational thought: Reason and rational thought are the basis of logical decision making and essential to address the issues faced by humanity.
- Science and empiricism: The scientific method is the best tool we have for seeking truth and understanding in our world. We make conclusions based on the best available evidence and change our conclusions accordingly as new evidence becomes known.
- Compassion: Human compassion and empathy are the basis of a cooperative social structure that benefits all people.
- Purpose: This life is the only life we know we will have and it is up to each of us to utilize it meaningfully.
- Freedom: All people are entitled to freedom of conscience. AAI supports the values outlined in the International Convention of Human Rights.
- Responsibility: Each person is part of a global society and is responsible for humane interaction with other people and animals for the preservation of our habitable planet.
Atheist Alliance International is run by a volunteer international Board and relies on membership fees and donations to fund its activities. If you support atheism and secularism…